Monday 14 October 2013

Christmas Screen Card

Good morning again, thought I'd blog this card, which we did at our workshop a couple of weeks ago. I was inspired by a card I glimpsed on Sheena Douglass' oriental show.  It was just sitting on the front of the counter, but they didn't show it properly, which I thought was a bit of shame because I loved it! Anyhow, I had a go at recreating it with a Christmas twist..

It's easier to do than you might think, the first thing to do is make the base card, I cut an A4 sheet to 20cms by 27cms.  But it can be any height but you must be able to divide the width by 3.


  • Score  the longer side at 9cm and 18cms. Don't be tempted to fold it at this point because it is much easier to decorate if you leave it flat.  
  • Cut a piece of card 1cm by 7 cms. Place this at the centre bottom of one of the panels and draw round it, then cut out the shape, this gives you the little legs, repeat this on all three panels, and then do the same at the top (this is optional).
  • Measure the size of your panels and cut your gold layer 1cm smaller, and the black layer 1.5cm smaller.
  • Then I put the black layers through an embossing folder and use gold gilding wax to highlight the raised areas. I was a bit heavy handed with the wax, hence the streaky bits, I think a gentle touch is needed!
  • I decorated mine with die-cut pointsettias and swirls, but you could use anything really.
  • The sentiment is from a Hobby Arts set of sentiment stamps and I used red tinsle embossing powder so everything matched. I also coloured the little gems on the swirls with a red ProMarker.
  • Finally I put a panel of cream card on the back centre so that you have somewhere to write. However Veronica who was at the workshop put a larger sentiment onto the centre panel, and it look really nice, Veronica has a blog too vroncards.blogspot.co.uk have a little look if you have time.
  • Next fold your card in a zig-zag, 
  • This was a really fun card to make, and as you can see, once I'd started, I couldn't stop!!!


I took these to Ickworth Craft Fair last weekend and sold them all in two hours!

Once again thanks for taking the time to have a look round, if you like what you see, please pass the blog address onto your crafty friends.

Off now to dust my mantlepiece......just noticed the state of it in the photo!

Please feel free to leave a comment, it is an open forum unless your comment is anonymous in which case it comes to me for checking before it is published.


4 comments:

  1. glad you finally got around to blogging these - and am not surprised you sold them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards and thank you for such good instructions on how to make them....I will definitely be having a play....I bet they looked stunning on your stall and I too am not surprised that they sold out so quickly....Jo. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, they are fun to make, and they do look good on the stall,I think it is because they have a bit of height, should have taken a photo really.

      Delete